Last week my husband left for a seven-day impromptu bike trip. One of his friends passed away in a horrible motorcycle accident (a week prior) while on his way to a Rally……so there was no doubt in his mind that he was going to attend his funeral in Pennsylvania.
Although I would miss him during the week….his absence meant a few things.
1. Full control of the remote control. I caught up on my reality t.v, reruns of Sex and The City was playing in the background while I caught up on blogs that I missed, I watched Something Borrowed for the tenth time and didn’t have to worry about hearing some sort of negative comment. I watched a couple of episodes of Ghost Adventures without hearing that “Ghosts” aren’t real and yes……I scared myself silly and had to have the front room light on while I slept.
2. I didn’t have to cook dinner for 7 days. I ordered take-out and made it last for several days …… I had cereal for dinner one night and munched on carrots and humus the next. So simple……and no fuss!!
3. If I wanted to change into my pj’s right when I got home from work, I could. See, normally I will wait till after dinner before changing into my pj pants……I try my best not to look too frumpy right off the bat. When I get home I change into some shorts and a t-shirt ….. not to frumpy but comfy …..but last week the work clothes came off and I was Mrs.Frump….loved it!!
4. I had the whole bed to myself. ….well not technically all to myself. My furkids took up the whole left side of the bed. (Lily,Dart and Sami) ….I will have to admit I was able to catch up on my sleep!!
5. I could take a bubble bath every single night… sip on some wine with candles lining the tub without worry that he will turn the A/C on and freeze me out of the bathroom. …… Although, this thought came to mind every single day……..it never happened. Why?? I have no idea …..but I did have a glass of wine from time to time.
6. I would finally pop in the P90X DVD and sweat in private. This didn’t happen either…..the only physically activity I did was run around the backyard with the furkids!!
So now that he’s been back for three days, I’ve learned that being apart a few days gave both of us time to “miss each other” and make us appreciate each other more.
Yes, I had to relinquish my control over the “main” remote and watch Sports pretty much ALL the time….but I’m okay with that, because I can always go to the bedroom to watch t.v.
Yes, I am back to making dinner every night but I don’t mind it so much, plus I get to try my new Pinterest “must trys” on him!
Sleep…..isn’t happening like it did last week, but I’ve learned that if I leave a little early in the morning I will have time to stop at Starbucks to grab a skinny vanilla latte’…..although, for some reason it hasn’t made any sort of difference this morning. I’m still tired.
Mama’s Losin It writing challenge: What did you learn this week